In the modern era we are exposed to many different harmful chemicals on a daily basis. Workplaces and restaurants all have to adhere to certain safety measures to ensure that workers and customers alike are not exposed to dangerous amounts of these substances.
However, just as many toxic chemicals can be found in your home as well. This is why I’m going to tell you about five common household items that you need to get rid of to improve your health and the natural alternatives that you can replace them with.
Non-stick cookware is by far the most common cookware used by Americans. This is despite the fact that it has been proven to release toxic chemicals into your food during cooking. When non-stick cookware is heated up, its coating begins to break down at a molecular level, meaning that you are not actually able to see this happening.
When the coating breaks down it releases a variety of toxic particles and fluoride-based gases, many of which are carcinogenic. Instead of toxic non-stick cookware, purchase glass or ceramic pots and pans that don’t release harmful fumes.
Many people think that they are doing their body justice when swapping sugar for one of its alternatives. Although there are many healthy natural sweeteners out there, the most common ones tend to be a lot worse for you than sugar. If you have any of the following sweeteners, throw them out immediately:
- Acesulfame K, may be carcinogenic, causes tumors and affects pregnancy
- Aspartame, has been linked to skin cancers and can be deadly for people with phenylketonuria
- Saccharin, may cause bladder cancer, is indigestible and gets excreted by the liver unchanged
- Sorbitol, is only partially digested in the intestines, causes diarrhea, bloating and gas
Instead, replace these artificial sweeteners with ones that can be naturally found and cultivated without refining. These include:
- Stevia, can lower blood pressure and blood sugar
- Erythritol, has no affect on blood sugar, insulin or cholesterol levels
- Xylitol, can improve bone density and reduce risk of tooth decay
- Yacon syrup, feeds good bacteria in intestines and can help fight against constipation