Rice is a staple food in many regions, especially Asian countries like China and Japan. Due to its easy availability in these countries, people have made it a part of their diet as well as beauty regimen.
Rice water contains nutrients that can be beneficial for your skin and hair. Rice has vitamins B, C and E as well as minerals and eight essential amino acids that promote overall health as well as beauty.
In simple terms, rice water is the milky white solution you get after soaking or boiling rice. It can be concentrated, diluted or even fermented to bring out most of its benefits.
Another wonderful thing about rice water is that it’s probably the simplest DIY “beauty product” that anyone can make at home. Some rice and water is literally all you need!
Here are two ways to make rice water – boiling and without boiling.
Steps to make rice water with boiling:
1. Wash 1 cup of organic rice with clean water.
2. Cook the rice in an uncovered pan with 3 cups of water.
3. After the rice is cooked, strain the water into a clean container.Allow the rice water to cool down, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Dilute 1 to 2 tablespoons of this concentrated solution in 1 cup of water. Stir it to get a barely milky-looking mixture. Use this mixture as needed in your beauty regimen.
Steps to make rice water without boiling:
1. Rinse 1 cup of organic rice with water and add
2. cups of water to it.
3. Allow it to sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Stir it and then drain the water into another bowl.
Transfer this water into a clean container and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Shake it well before use.
You can also keep the rice water at room temperature for 2 days to allow fermentation before storing it in the refrigerator. To use fermented rice water, dilute it with plain water in the ratio of 1:3 before using it.
Once your homemade rice water is ready, you can use it in your daily skin and hair care routine. Say goodbye to expensive and chemical-based cosmetic products for skin and hair. Rice water is the ultimate beauty remedy!Here are the benefits of rice water for skin and hair.
1. Improves Hair Health
Rice water makes hair soft, strong and healthy. Hair is made up of protein, hence the protein in rice water is good for your hair. Rice protein strengthens the hair shaft and fills in the cracks, resulting in shiny and soft hair.
Plus, rice water contains inositol, a kind of carbohydrate that can prevent hair damage and keep it healthy and soft.
In fact, it can treat hair loss by increasing the growth rate of new hair and strengthening the hair strands as they grow.
- After shampooing your hair, pour rice water diluted with plain water on your hair.
- Using your fingertips, gently massage your scalp for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with plain water.
- Follow this hair treatment 2 or 3 times a week.
For extra nourishment, you can add a few drops of essential oils, such as rosemary, lavender or geranium, to the rice water before use.
You can also add green tea in it. If using fermented rice water, make sure you dilute it before rinsing your hair with it.
2. Tames Frizzy Hair
When it comes to frizzy and unmanageable hair, rice water is very beneficial. The good amount of protein in it can deep condition your hair. It can also help detangle and improve hair elasticity.
In a 2010 study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, researchers did extensive research on the histories of the hairstyles and hair care practices of Japanese women, and found that these women used rice water to rinse their hair each day.
Rice water reduces surface friction and increases hair elasticity.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse it thoroughly with cool water.
- Mix 1 part fermented rice water and 3 parts of bath water so that it remains only slightly cloudy.
- Use this mixture as a final rinse.
- Repeat this treatment once or twice a week for best results.
3. Soothes Irritated Skin
The starch in rice water is effective at treating dry skin lesions of eczema. It can soothe skin irritation and inflammation.
A 2002 study published in Acta Dermato Venereologica found that exposure to bath water containing rice starch, twice daily for 15 minutes, led to a 20 percent improvement in the healing capacity of damaged skin.
This study recommends this skin repair bath for barrier damaged skin, particularly in the case of atopic dermatitis patients.
- For any kind of skin irritation or inflammation, add a few cups of rice water to warm bath water. Soak your body in this water for 15 to 20 minutes, twice daily.
- For localized irritation, soak a cotton ball in cool rice water and apply it on the affected area. Repeat a few times a day.
4. Tightens Skin Pores
Open or large pores on the skin can contribute to different types of problems like acne and blackheads. Open pores is common in people with oily skin. To help fight this irritating problem, rice water is highly effective.
Rice water works as a natural astringent to tone and tighten your skin. It reduces large pores and helps restore the skin’s pH balance.
- Dilute rice water with an equal amount of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on your face.
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse it off.
- For best results, use this remedy every night after cleansing your face.
5. Improves Skin Complexion
Rice water also improves your skin complexion and makes your skin healthy and flawless. It helps flush toxins out the skin, improves skin elasticity and reduces inflammation.
Plus, it prevents aging spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Soak a cotton pad in diluted rice water.
- Apply it on your clean face like a toner.
- Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then, massage in circular motions for several minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this at least once daily.
6. Makes Skin Soft
Rice water is great for keeping your skin soft and moisturized. The protein in it prevents water loss to helpkeep the skin moisturized longer.
Also, it contains antioxidants that help reduce free radical damage caused by aging, sun exposure and environmental factors.
- Dilute rice water with cool water in the ratio of 1:2.
- Soak a washcloth in this solution.
- Place this cloth on your clean face and leave it for 15 minutes or more.
- Gently wash your face with the leftover rice water to get soft, smooth skin.
- Finally, rinse your face with plain water.
- Repeat this remedy once daily.
- You can use any variety of rice like white rice, brown rice, jasmine rice, etc.
- Always rinse the rice once with water to remove dirt and other particles.
- Try to use organic rice, even though it is bit more expensive than regular rice as the organic produce does not contain pesticides.
- Do not use undiluted rice water in your hair, as it can result in lumps and may build up in your hair over time.