Today, I’m bringing you the best low carb walnut and coconut pancakes. In this case, I’ve used walnut meal (which basically is walnuts ground in the blender until you get the texture of fine sand), shredded coconut and Greek yogurt as the main ingredients. The walnut meal and shredded coconut replace the typical wheat flour (or other high carb flour), and the Greek yogurt, together with eggs, honey and coconut oil, acts as the liquid to bind the ingredients together. This batter is slightly more fragile than typical pancake batters made with wheat flour, so I recommend using just ¼ cup of batter per pancake to make smaller pancakes, and that you be patient and allow the pancakes to fully cook on the underside before flipping.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1 cup of walnut meal (I processed 1 cup of raw walnuts in my blender)
- ¾ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1/5 cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of cut fresh strawberries
- Raw honey, for drizzling
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together (walnut meal, shredded coconut, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, trying to incorporate as much air as possible (this makes for fluffier pancakes)
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together (Greek yogurt, honey, coconut oil, milk, vanilla extract and beaten eggs) until well combined
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and mix well – note that the batter will be thick, but its ok. If necessary, add a tablespoon of milk to lighten it up.
- Heat a little coconut oil over low heat in a non-stick pan
- Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter into the middle of the pan and allow it to spread into a circle.
- Cook on low heat until bubbles begin appearing on the top surface and top is no longer runny and bottom is golden brown (about 1 min 15 seconds). Using a non-stick spatula, flip pancake over to the other side and let cook until bottom is golden brown.
- Repeat until all pancake batter is completely used up.
- Serve pancakes warm with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey.